51. So welfare opportunities are a significant determinant of family instability in poor neighborhoods, but this is not the result of AFDC regulations that exclude most intact families from coverage.
52. Rather, welfarerelated instability occurs because public assistance lowers both the benefits of marriage and the costs of its breach by providing a system of governmentsubsidized payments.
53. The warning signs can be difficult enough to recognize but the problem of identifying major depression in teens is further complicated by the fact that even these ambiguous signs are not always present.
54. They are using what we know as signs, to communicate with each other about some situation that is present at that moment: gathering the group, alarm, hunting, mating.
55. Is it possible to imagine something as highly refined and subtle as the cave paintings of 15,000 years ago without language to enable manipulation and transference of ideas?
56. Possession of language is a defining mark of our humanity, and it has been faithfully accompanying us ever since our branch first emerged as a distinct species.
57. In Prague, when Tomas and Tereza brought a new chair or moved a flower pot, Karenin would look on in displeasure. It disturbed his sense of time. Nonetheless, he soon managed to reestablish the old order and old rituals in the Zurich flat.
58. In periods of despair, she would remind herself she had to hold on because of him, because he was weaker than she, weaker perhaps even than Dubcek and their abandoned homeland.
59. When she said that Tomas wasn’t there and she didn’t know when he’d be back, the woman on the other end of the line started laughing and, without saying good-bye, hung up.
60. It was then that she realized she had lost the last bit of strength she had had at home she was absolutely incapable of tolerating this absolutely insignificant incident.